Announcement: New Extension (Auto Drafts)

Any site related announcements from the Admins/Mods will appear here.

Moderators: Mackinlee, Franchise

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Announcement: New Extension (Auto Drafts)

Post by Franchise » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 pm

After once again having a decently lengthy post I was typing lost due to either my phone dying or the browser inexplicably refreshing the page on my phone, I decided to finally install the Auto Drafts extension. What this means is that when you start typing a post, it will automatically save every 20 seconds and then those drafts will be deleted after 30 days if not posted. There are overrides somewhere in the UCP for each user but these are the defaults.

One thing to note: I believe the drafts are only available in either the forum it was first saved in or in the thread it was saved in. Either way, if you return to the last topic where you lost the connection for some reason, it should be there. Otherwise, you should be able to find it in the UCP somewhere. I will update this if it is true that it is saved in the UCP as well as where specifically the user settings are to override the defaults.

To update: there is nowhere in the UCP where drafts are saved. It is saved in the thread you were typing the post in and it appears to be saved locally on your browser device --- be it a phone or a PC. So you can't start and finish on a second device. At least as far as I can tell according to the extension page at phpbb. That is apparently going to be an enhancement added at a later date.

Anyhow, you also can delete all of your auto drafts from the UCP if you want. Only problem is it doesn't tell you what forum or topic they're for. I think the goal here is just backup so like if you do as I did and the phone died, it will be there when you go back to the topic. Still is very useful IMO even if it's limited in some areas.

The UCP settings are here (under board preferences): http://www.stablewars.com/forum/ucp.php ... e=settings
Last edited by Franchise on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more info...
Don't hinder The Jinder!

- 5x SW
- 25x TW
- 1x PPV
- 2x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 2x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 2x Jobber Wars
- 1x Bracket Brawl
- 2x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Re: Announcement: New Extension (Auto Drafts)

Post by PimpinSmurf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

I.E. more Smurf ramblings. I legit copy & paste my longer posts because I often lose them for various reasons and don't feel like retyping, so this is a welcome extension.
"You just got GOT!"

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:02 pm

I literally had just written up my BB review of the first two episodes and lost it all. I was so mad. I had vaguely heard about this extension but had never downloaded it so I figured why not now. I constantly forget I had something I typed but didn't post or lose battery or just click another page and lose it. So that won't happen now (or at least not to the extent cuz it still waits 20 seconds to save). I just wish it was more robust is all. Like a place that stored them all as opposed to just in the topic would be nice.
Don't hinder The Jinder!

- 5x SW
- 25x TW
- 1x PPV
- 2x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 2x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 2x Jobber Wars
- 1x Bracket Brawl
- 2x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 am

Just to update everyone: it does not seem like the autodrafts extension works with the quick reply function. At least I haven't seen it work. I reached out to the Developer of the extension to see if maybe there's a setting I missed enabling but I would just recommend if you were planning a long post to click the post reply button first or click the full editor button below the quick reply at some point so it brings up the full editor page. That way definitely works always with the extension.
Don't hinder The Jinder!

- 5x SW
- 25x TW
- 1x PPV
- 2x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 2x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 2x Jobber Wars
- 1x Bracket Brawl
- 2x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Post by PimpinSmurf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 pm

I use quick reply always, but I use preview before posting longwinded or videos/pics and that enables the editor.
"You just got GOT!"

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Post by PimpinSmurf » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Nevermind, that was only because I was doing a new topic.
"You just got GOT!"

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:24 pm

I typically do quick reply too and if you're firing off a quick couple of sentence post then yea no worries. But if you are writing up a show scoring or posting more in-depth thoughts, like LW does for Raw/SD, I'd just recommend not doing quick reply because it won't save the draft. Needs the full editor like you get when you click the Post Reply button.
Don't hinder The Jinder!

- 5x SW
- 25x TW
- 1x PPV
- 2x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 2x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 2x Jobber Wars
- 1x Bracket Brawl
- 2x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Post by PimpinSmurf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:28 am

I keep getting test notifications for this. Not sure why. Is this what you were talking about with sparky in LNR?
"You just got GOT!"

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:02 am

If you're subscribed to this topic or forum then yes. I was using the test_user to test the notification emails for the mentions system because sparky had said the emails were providing an incorrect link to the topic for the mentions notifications. So I was trying to recreate that and then fixed it.

Also, if you got a notification and then came here to see nothing new posted, that is because I deleted that test user posts after figuring out what the issue was and fixing it.
Don't hinder The Jinder!

- 5x SW
- 25x TW
- 1x PPV
- 2x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 2x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 2x Jobber Wars
- 1x Bracket Brawl
- 2x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Post by PimpinSmurf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 am

OK, cool.
"You just got GOT!"